Thursday, November 6, 2008

CHEESE CAKE CRUMB CRUST


First you have to melt some butter. I have melted one pound here. I won't need it all for the crust, but I am going to be making some stuffing for a chicken so I'll need some melted butter later on anyway, so...what the hell!

I brush a little butter onto the edges of my spring form pan before I use the butter for anything else.


Then I cut some parchment paper strips to line the pan. These are just a little wider than the height of the pan.


The butter brushed onto the sides of the pan helps the paper to stick o the sides of the pan. Why the parchment paper you ask? Well...without it the cheese cake will develop large cracks on top caused by the cake shrinking after baking. Without the paper, the batter stick to the inside of the pan and when the cake trys to shrink it cannot pull away from the pan which results in large cracks in the cake.


Pour graham cracker crumbs into a large mixing bowl.

Add sugar.

Drizzle with melted butter.

When the mixture will pack together when squeezed in your hand, no more butter is needed.

Pour crumb mixture into the spring form pan.

Tamp crumbs down firmly to make a crust. I use a flat bottomed glass or ramekin for this.

Bake @ 325 degrees for 10 minutes and cool.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

does the temp stay the same if you are only baking one crumb crust or do you have to adjust it?
Felix

Anonymous said...

you rule....now where is the rest of it?

Livingston Cooks said...

Felix:

The temperature stays the same for one, two, three...whatever. If you can fit 8 in your oven, the temperature stays the same.

Anonymous said...

I will NEVER buy store bought again! the cheesecake crumb crust MASTER! David