Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"HERE CHICKY, CHICKY!"













Here is a fast little dish I had for dinner last night! This is a Cornish Hen with roasted Autumn vegetables and tricolored baby potatoes. I roasted the hen off in a small pan surrounded with a gang of root vegetables and potatoes. What could be easier than that?

I seasoned the hen and then seared it in a hot pan turning it several times until evenly browned. I added some carrot (red, white, yellow and orange), parsnip, butternut squash, shallots, fresh herbs, a cube or two of butter, salt and pepper and ...boom...in the oven it went! Thirty five minutes at 375 degrees and all was well!

I removed the little hen from the oven and glazed it with some organic honey. I returned it to the oven for about 10 minutes until she was glistening and golden! Ooh-la-la!

Once the roasting was done, I removed the hen and vegetables from the pan and made a quick pan sauce. I left the natural juices in the pan, added some stock, Gewurtztraminer and a splash of organic apple cider vinegar. I whisked in the smallest amount of organic pumpkin butter for a kiss of spice and to help thicken the sauce; there would be no flour or corn starch for this little baby!

When the sauce had reduced enough, I gave it a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley and some seasoning.

It was a simple, rustic, tasty dish that was very comforting. A glass of Gewurtztraminer made it an event!! It brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it, really.

There is no recipe on this one. The photos tell it all. Add as much or as little veggies as you wish, and remember, "Autumn." Pick up whatever is fresh and local! Add some sliced apples if you wish....or pear! The bottom line is, have fun and make it personal!

Bon Appetit!!


INGREDIENTS:

1 Cornish hen
1/2 cup Each of orange carrots, yellow carrots, white carrots, red carrots, baby potatoes,
shallots, butternut squash. Clean and cut into bite sized pieces.
Fresh thyme, sage and rosemary
1/2 cup Chicken stock
Honey
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup White wine
2 tbsp Cider vinegar
Olive oil
Whole butter

No comments: